Wednesday, March 15, 2017

A Real Giving Tree



The Giving Tree By Shel Silverstein

Once there was a tree....and she loved a little boy. And everyday the boy would come and he would gather her leaves and make them into crowns and play king of the forest. He would climb up her trunk and swing from her branches and eat apples. And they would play hide-and-go-seek. And when he was tired, he would sleep in her shade. And the boy loved the tree....very much. And the tree was happy.
But time went by. And the boy grew older. And the tree was often alone. Then one day the boy came to the tree and the tree said, "Come, Boy, come and climb up my trunk and swing from my branches and eat apples and play in my shade and be happy." "I am too big to climb and play" said the boy. "I want to buy things and have fun. I want some money?" 
"I'm sorry," said the tree, "but I have no money. I have only leaves and apples. Take my apples, Boy, and sell them in the city. Then you will have money and you will be happy." And so the boy climbed up the tree and gathered her apples and carried them away. And the tree was happy.
But the boy stayed away for a long time....and the tree was sad. And then one day the boy came back
and the tree shook with joy and she said, "Come, Boy, climb up my trunk and swing from my branches and be happy." "I am too busy to climb trees," said the boy. "I want a house to keep me warm," he said. "I want a wife and I want children, and so I need a house. Can you give me a house ?" " I have no house," said the tree. "The forest is my house, but you may cut off my branches and build a  house. Then you will be happy." And so the boy cut off her branches and carried them away to build his house. And the tree was happy. 
But the boy stayed away for a long time. And when he came back, the tree was so happy she could hardly speak. "Come, Boy," she whispered, "come and play." "I am too old and sad to play," said the boy. "I want a boat that will take me far away from here. Can you give me a boat?" "Cut down my trunk and make a boat," said the tree. "Then you can sail away...and be happy." And so the boy cut down her trunk and made a boat and sailed away. And the tree was happy... but not really.
And after a long time the boy came back again. "I am sorry, Boy," said the tree," but I have nothing
left to give you - My apples are gone." "My teeth are too weak for apples," said the boy. "My branches are gone," said the tree. " You cannot swing on them - " "I am too old to swing on branches," said the boy. "My trunk is gone, " said the tree. "You cannot climb - " "I am too tired to climb" said the boy. "I am sorry," sighed the tree. "I wish that I could give you something....but I have nothing left. I am just an old stump. I am sorry...." "I don't need very much now," said the boy. "just a quiet place to sit and rest. I am very tired."
"Well," said the tree, straightening herself up as much as she could, "well, an old stump is good for sitting and resting Come, Boy, sit down. Sit down and rest." And the boy did. And the tree was happy.


The tree in Silverstein's story was truly a giving tree, but there is another giving tree I can think of. The tree of Calvary, the cross of Christ was a giving tree as well. When you think about it, both the manager in which the Christ child laid and the cross of Calvary where Jesus was killed were both made of wood. Both made from giving tree's. One held new life, the son of God, and the other brought death. Though the cross can be viewed as a symbol of death, it also is the symbol for sacrifice, of giving, of true & gracious love, and a symbol of life.

When you look at the cross do you see it as a symbol of life for you? Do you see it as the only way to your salvation? Do you see it as your cross?

Jesus' death on the cross is our new life. It's our new beginning in life! All the sins of your life are being wiped clean and you can start with a fresh slate. Jesus is saying to us from the cross of Calvary, give me your life, give me your sinful life, and l will carry all of your sins away and give you a new life!! Isn’t that what the cross is all about? Jesus is taking our place. He is taking that which he doesn’t deserve, that which isn’t his, our sinfulness, and in return he is giving us his life. A new life, a life that will set us free, free from the power of sin, Free from death, and in that freedom we will then have the choice to be with God. We will have the opportunity, to live with God forever. The cross of Calvary, the old rugged cross, is the place where we obtain our freedom. Where Jesus exchanges our life for his, and in the process, we are free people. People who then can live in the love of God. Have you encountered the cross of Christ in such a way that it brings you to your knees? Brings you to your knees in true confession as we sense the cross, the body, and blood given and shed upon it are our only way of salvation?

Where are you? Do you stand in front of the cross telling God how good you are because you haven’t done this or that? Then turn around and are hanging on stubbornly to those sins, those ways of life you are very comfortable with, but yet knowing that somehow they are not really what God wants from you? Or, can you surrender, can you be brought to your knees in front of the cross in true confession and true humility? Can you release all pride in self, all boasting, all rationalizations of your action, and stand as a condemned person, a person who deserves to die on that cross for your disobedience to God? Can you come to the foot of the cross and realize that God gave you so much, gave you eternal life by the way of the tree of death? Can you stand empty, ashamed, humble, and willing to accept that gift of salvation knowing full well you could never, and mean never, measure up to the perfection of God? Have you really let the greatest love story ever told, ever witnessed, ever conceived be really felt in your life? Have you come face to face with the cross of Christ and there experienced this forgiving love for you? Come to the cross of Christ, come!! ’Well,’ says the tree, straightening herself up as much as she can, ’an old stump is good for sitting and resting. Come, boy sit down, sit down and rest.’ And the boy does. The tree is very happy." Come and rest in the arms of Christ on the cross and receive the peaceful rest of salvation. New life is given to you. You can place your trust in God and follow God’s way. God is with you. AMEN.


No comments:

Post a Comment